- Corals are included in Schedule-I list of the Wild Life Protection Act, 1972: Ministry of Environment and Forest vide its notification dated 11 July 2001 has included all the hard coral in the Schedule List of WLPA of 1972
- Environment Protection Act, 1986 (EPA): It confers exclusive jurisdiction to the Central Government to preserve and protect the marine environment and to prevent and control marine pollution.
- Coastal Regulation Zone Notification (CRZ) 1991 under the EPA: It is the only law that explicitly outlaws coral mining in India.
- Marine Protected Areas (MPAs): to preserve the certain areas of the nation’s waters, including some areas with coral reefs.
GLOBAL PROTECTION MEASURES
- Aichi Target 10 — which concerns reducing pressures on coral reefs and other vulnerable ecosystems impacted by climate change or ocean acidification
- The Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN) is an operational network of ICRI (International Coral Reef Initiative)with the primary task of reporting on the condition of the world’s coral reefs.