Apart from Constitutional safeguards, Scheduled Tribes are also assured other protections under the law to safeguard their geographical interests, including protections for forest lands.
- The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act,1989 and the Rules 1995 framed there under.
- Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act 1976 (in respect of Scheduled Tribes);
- The Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act1986;
- States Acts & Regulations concerning alienation & restoration of land belonging to STs;
- Forest Conservation Act 1980;
- Panchayatiraj (Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act 1996;
- Minimum Wages Act 1948.
- The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act, 2015
It was implemented to assure and protect the individual and community rights of tribal people in forest areas. It also assures them the right to free and prior informed consent in the event of their displacement and resettlement.