The main recommendations made by the Sachar committee before 10 years to address the status of the Muslim community are:
- Constituting an Equal Opportunity Commission to look into grievances of deprived groups such as minorities in public bodies.
- Establishing a nomination procedure to increase participation of minorities in public bodies.
- Creating a delimitation procedure which does not reserve constituencies with high minority population for SCs.
- Establish mechanisms to link madarsas with higher secondary school board.
- Improve the employment share of Muslims.
- Recognise degrees offered by madarsas in defence, civil and banking examinations.
- To create a National Data Bank where all relevant data for various Socio-religious communities are maintained.
- UGC should evolve a system where part of the allocation to colleges and universities is linked to the diversity in the student population.