The media is supposed to exist to maintain the bridge between the government and the people. The press is also called the fourth pillar of democracy. It is necessary to take into account that the media not only communicate but also offer their own perspective on every event that takes place.
Need for responsible media and credible information dissemination
- Media acts as a watchdog of public interest in a democracy. It plays an important role in a democracy and serves as an agency of the people to inform them of the events of national and international significance.
- Its importance in influencing readers can be gauged by the role it played during the freedom struggle, politically educating millions of Indians who joined the leaders in their fight against the British imperialism.
- It is like a mirror which reveals us the bare truth and harsh realities of life. A news media, be it in print form or TV/radio, its main job is to inform people about unbiased news without any censorship or tampering.
Responsibilities of a media in democracy
- The fundamental objective of journalism is to serve the people with news, views, comments and information on matters of public interest in a fair, accurate, unbiased and decent manner and language.
- The press is an indispensable pillar of democracy. It purveys public opinion and shapes it. Parliamentary democracy can flourish only under the watchful eyes of the media.
- With the advent of private TV channels, the media seems to have taken over the reins of human life and society in every walk of life.
- The media today does not remain satisfied as the Fourth Estate, it has assumed the foremost importance in society and governance. While playing the role of informer, the media also takes the shape of a motivator and a leader.
- Such is the influence of media that it can make or unmake any individual, institution or any thought. So, all pervasive and all-powerful is today its impact on the society. With so much power and strength, the media cannot lose sight of its privileges, duties and obligations.