- Fast paced advancements in Cyberspace, Artificial Intelligence (AI), biological vectors and autonomous air-land-sea mobile platforms have phenomenally enhanced the internal security vulnerabilities to threats emanating not only from within but also from beyond the national borders.
- Degrading the cyberspace, economic, commerce, and human capital resources even during ‘peacetime’ is the new normal in geostrategic rivalry enlarging the scope of internal security domain that needs to be secured.
Trans Border Threats Impinging Internal Security Situation
- Over the past decade the Chinese state has deployed massive resources to establish strong pockets of influence amongst selected targeted countries, with the Chinese state orchestrating their actions to sow discord and slow down decision making process inimical to Chinese interests. Consequently the faceoff with China is also impacting the internal security dimension within India.
- Convergence of interests between China and Pakistan, further adds to the security concerns of India. It magnifies the terrorist activities being engaged in India by separatist organisations with covert trans-border support. Both China and Pakistan are also known proliferators of sensitive advanced technologies.
- Extension of deep Chinese influence in Nepal has added to the internal security threat dimensions within India. The border is highly porous and lightly manned, enabling relatively easier cross-border movement of contraband and personnel.
- Indian Diaspora has attained substantive political influence in several foreign countries. It also has its demerits when influential Indian origin individuals and organisations sympathetic towards groups with separatist ideology, are able to prevail upon foreign leaders to issue statements tantamount to interference in internal affairs of India.
- MNCs in the new age technology fields have the potential to pose a threat to national security, especially in the data security and cyberspace domains, and also by influencing the policies of their respective Governments.
- Non-State Organisations with anarchic and fundamentalist ideologies repugnant to the secularist credentials of India are potential threats to the peaceful internal security environment of the nation.