Home » Science & Technology » Nuclear Technology » Benefits of Nuclear Energy
- Nuclear energy offers many advantages as the emissions-free workhorse of our energy grid. Its unique value cannot be found in any other energy source.
- Nuclear protects national security. U.S. leadership in nuclear energy maintains safety and nonproliferation standards globally, supports a resilient electrical grid at home, and fuels a strong navy.
- Nuclear fights climate change. Nuclear energy provides large amounts of 24/7 carbon-free electricity now, which is irreplaceable in protecting the environment.
- Nuclear ensures U.S. leadership in technology. The United States pioneered nuclear energy for the world and, with continued leadership, can respond to growing clean energy demand worldwide with advanced reactors.
- Nuclear produces electricity reliably. Around-the-clock electricity is a must for our nation to prosper in the 21st century. Clean, reliable nuclear energy is a critical part of U.S. infrastructure because it runs nonstop for 18-24 months at a time.
- Nuclear generates jobs. Nuclear energy provides more than 100,000 well-paid, long-term jobs and supports local economies with millions of dollars in state and local tax revenues.
- Nuclear protects our air. Nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, particulate matter and mercury: all things you don’t want in the air you breathe. Nuclear energy provides power 24/7 without a trace of those pollutants.
- Nuclear boosts international development. Nuclear energy helps developing nations meet sustainable development goals.
- Nuclear power electric vehicles. Electrified transportation promises to reduce carbon emissions. When powered by carbon-free nuclear energy, electric vehicles can reach their full potential.