- Prithvirajraso written by Chandbadrai is the first major source for Rajput history.
- According to this book Rajputs were originated from a fire sacrifice performed at Mt.Abu .
- Prithviraj Raso is considered as the one of first book in Hindi language.
- Colnel James Todd wrote “Annals of Rajputana” or “ Rajasthan Kathavali”,According to James Todd Rajputs were descedents of HUNs
- Somadeva suri’s “Kathasaritha sagara” also gives details of Rajputs
- Rashtrakuta poet Pampa also mention about Gujara in his book.
- They ruled Rajasthan and Gujrat region
- They claimed their origin from Laxman.
- Prathiharas acted as bulwarks against Islamic invaders
- Nagabhatta- 1 was most famous and prominent king , he came into conflict with Rashtrakuta king Dhruva(tripartiate warfare for Kannauj)
- Nagabhtta was followed by Vatsaraja
- Vatsaraja defeated Dharmapala of Pala dynasty, but lost to Dhruv of Rashtrakuta dynasty.
- Mihirbhoj was greatest among Prathiharas, he defeated Narayanpala of Pala . He ruled long for 46 years.
- Mihirbhoj was mentioned by Arab travelers .Abu suleman called him king Juzr, al-masudi called king Baura.
- Last king Rajyapala was defeated by Krishna 3 of Rashtrakuta and Ghazni mohammed.
- From 1000 AD onwards Prathiharas became weak due to internal conflicts and rise in feudal lords.
- This lead to fragmentation of Rajput
(Note: details of these Rajput kingdoms will be covered under subheading Rajput kingdoms)
- There are notable examples of architecture from the Gurjara-Pratihara era, including sculptures and carved panels.
- They started Maru- Gujara style of architecture
- Bateshwar Hindu temples complex, located near Gwalior(MP) Dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Shakti.
- Baroli temple complex