- The important phase in the development of music during this period belongs to the time of Amir Khusrau.
- Amir kusrau was the first to describe Kashmir as Eden on earth.
- He proclaimed himself as tuti-i-hind or parrot of India.
- He was contemporary of Jalaluddin Khalji, Alauddin Khalji,Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq.
- He witnessed rule of eight sultans.
- It is during this period that the qawwali style is said to have developed. He is also credited for the development of many modern ragas like aiman, gora and sanam.
- He is credited with the creation of a new musical instrument, the sitar that was a combination of the Indian vina and the Iranian tambura.
- New musical instruments such as sarangi and rabab were introduced during this period
- Raja Man Singh of Gwalior was a great lover of music. He encouraged the composition of a great musical work called Man Kautuhal.
Musical instruments sitar, sarod and sarangi respectively shown in above pictures.