After the death of Harshavardhana India witnessed significant changes, this period is also known as twilight of ancient India.
- Pataliputra permanently lost its prominence as symbol of sovereignty of India.
- Kanyakubja (kannauj) became symbol of sovereignty of India in early medieval times.
- For the control of kanyakubja (Ganga Yamuna doab region) three Indian dynasties waged continuous wars, which is known as triangular warfare. Palas , Prathiharas and Rashtrakutas participated in warfare.
- Decentralization was on its peak, paved ways for emergence of Indian feudalism.
- Many regional powers emerged powerful, political unity of India was shattered into pieces.
- A new ruling clan RAJPUTS