Home » International Relations » Important International Institutions, Agencies and Further Structure, Mandate etc., » BIMSTEC » QUICK FACTS on BIMSTEC
|What is it ?
- Regional organization comprising seven Member States lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity
- BIMSTEC has also established a platform for intra-regional cooperation between SAARC and ASEAN members.
- Technological and economic cooperation among south Asian and southeast Asian countries
- Commerce, investment, technology, tourism, human resource development, agriculture, fisheries, transport and communication, textiles, leather etc. have been included in it
- Region – 22 % of the total world population.
The first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise-2017 (DMEx-2017) was held in New Delhi.
||Founding Members(BIST-EC) :Bangaldesh, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand
- New Members: Myanmar-1997, Bhutan and Nepal – 2004
Renamed BIMSTEC in 2004 Summit.
- Alphabetical Order
- Currently – Sri Lanka
- 1st Summit: Thailand in 2004
- 2nd Summit : India in 2008
- 3 rd Summit: Myanmar in 2014
- 4th Summit: Nepal in 2018
- 5th Summit: Sri Lanka – 2022