Home » International Relations » Important International Institutions, Agencies and Further Structure, Mandate etc., » ASEAN
Association of Southeast Asian Nations
||Jakarta , Indonesia
|What is it ?
- Established through the ‘Bangkok Declaration’
- To accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region
- To promote regional peace and stability
- ASEAN Motto – “One Vision, One Identity, One Community”
- 2015 – ASEAN COMMUNITY – to move South-East Asia towards a globally competitive single market and production base, with a free flow of goods, services, labour, investments and capital across the 10 member states.
- Has Flag,Motto
- The ‘ASEAN Way’ refers to a methodology or approach to solving issues that respects the cultural norms of Southeast Asia
Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia
Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia(latest member)
- Not a member
- Has Free Trade Agreement in Goods(2010), Services(2014) , Investment(2014)
- ASEAN heads were Chief Guests at Republic Day Parade
- Trade : $70billion
- 1st Summit – Bali, Indonesia in 1976.
- 36th Summit – Vietnam in 2020