Christianity is an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth in the 1st century CE. It has become the largest of the world’s religions and, geographically, the most widely diffused of all faiths.
Evolution and other important aspects related to Christianity
- Jesus Christ founded Christianity which spread throughout the Roman Empire where it was made state religion in 4th
- The church split for the first time into- western under the people in Rome and eastern under the Patriarchates of Antioch, Alexandria and Constantinople. The Roman church was broken up by Protestantism.
- According to the tradition of Saint Thomas Syrian Christiansof Kerala, Christianity was introduced to India by Thomas the Apostle, who is said to have reached the Malabar Coast of Kerala in 52 AD.
- Some of the important beliefs associated with Christianity are:
- Christians are monotheistic, i.e., they believe there’s only one God, and he created the heavens and the earth. This divine Godhead consists of three parts: the father (God himself), the son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Bibleincludes important scriptures that outline Jesus’s teachings, the lives and teachings of Major Prophets and disciples, and offer instructions for how Christians should live.
- Both Christians and Jews follow the Old Testament of the Bible, but Christians also embrace the New Testament.
- Some of the main themes that Jesus taught, which Christians later embraced, include: Love God, Love your neighbor as yourself, Forgive others who have wronged you, Love your enemies, Ask God for forgiveness of your sins, Jesus is the Messiah and was given the authority to forgive others, Repentance of sins is essential, Don’t be hypocritical, Don’t judge others, The Kingdom of God is near. It’s not the rich and powerful—but the weak and poor—who will inherit this kingdom.
Christian missionaries who came after colonial conquest in India played a prominent part in addressing some of the social evils present in the society. The emergence of Christianity also enriched the Indian culture and tradition (More details on this would be discussed elsewhere).