Appointment and Terms of Service
- The CAG is appointed by the president of India by a warrant under his hand and seal.
- He holds office for a period of six years or up to the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- He can resign any time from his office by addressing the resignation letter to the president.
- He can also be removed by the president on same grounds and in the same manner as a judge of the Supreme Court.
Procedure for removal
- He/she can be removed either on the ground of “proved misbehaviour or incapacity”.
- He/she can be removed by the president on the basis of a resolution passed to that effect by both the Houses of Parliament with special majority i.e. majority of two- third members present and voting supported by more than 50% of the total strength of the house.