Facts for Prelims (FFP)
Context: Recently various cyber terms have been in the news. We have tried to cover them briefly
- Spamouflage is a Chinese influence campaign that has been active on over 50 platforms and forums, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and X (formerly Twitter).
- The accounts in the campaign have a tendency to intersperse political posts.
- The campaign has pushed positive narratives about China and negative commentary about the United States, Western foreign policies, and critics of the Chinese government.
Smishing Scam: The Indian government has warned against a new scam called ‘Smishing’.
- Smishing is a phishing cybersecurity attack carried out over mobile text messaging, also known as SMS phishing.
- As a variant of phishing, victims are deceived into giving sensitive information to a disguised attacke SMS phishing can be assisted by malware or fraudulent websites.