Facts for Prelims (FFP)
Context: The Union Cabinet has approved the PM e-bus Sewa scheme, aiming to introduce 10,000 electric buses in city bus services across India.
- Objective: The scheme aims to introduce 10,000 electric buses (e-buses) in city bus services across India and enhance urban infrastructure for green mobility.
- Financial Allocation: Central government will provide ₹20,000 crore in subsidies
- Duration: The scheme will support bus operations for a duration of 10 years.
- Implementation Segments: The scheme will be implemented in two segments:
- In 169 cities (selected through challenge mode for cities with a population of 3-40 lakhs), 10,000 e-buses will be deployed through a public-private partnership (PPP) model.
- For cities with less than 5 lakh population: 50 e-buses
- For cities with 20-40 lakh population: 150 e-buses
- In 181 cities, infrastructure will be upgraded to support green urban mobility initiatives.
- Behind-the-meter power infrastructure like substations will be created.
- Operation Responsibility: States or cities will be responsible for running the e-bus services and making payments to the bus operators.
- Employment Generation: The scheme aims to generate 45,000 to 55,000 jobs and reduce noise, air pollution, and carbon emissions.
Other Schemes of Government for Green Mobility: