Content for Mains Enrichment
Context: The World Bank is set to provide funding for projects aimed at creating safe and efficient streets in Chennai as part of the second phase of the Chennai City Partnership.
Its objectives include:
- Enhancing the city’s digital infrastructure for e-mobility and smart parking solutions
- Improving bus services, suburban rail services, and climate-resilient public infrastructure
- Establishing parking facilities, and transport hubs across various parts of the city.
- Creating walkable neighbourhoods with well-connected primary streets along transit routes, integrating them with schools and parks.
- Special projects tailored to each neighbourhood, involving stakeholders, will be identified and implemented.
The first phase of the Chennai Mega Streets Programme has already identified 110 km of arterial and sub-arterial roads for development.