The Odisha government has implemented the Special Development Councils (SDCs) initiative to preserve and promote tribal culture while ensuring economic development.
The SDCs focus on:
- Identifying and promoting important cultural markers of tribal identity, such as language, sacred groves, and tribal artisans
- Over 21 tribal proficiency centres have been established to educate about tribal culture and dialect
- More than 4,500 sacred groves are being conserved.
- Artisan ID cards have been issued to over 40,000 tribal artisans to preserve culture and create employment opportunities
- Ensuring cultural context is considered in the development projects.
Usage: The example can be used in an Indian Society/ Anthropology paper.