Context: The government-owned Tribal Development Co-operative Corporation of Odisha Ltd (TDCCOL) decided to procure sal seeds (Shorea robusta) from nine Odisha districts.
The move, which comes after a gap of three years, intends to arrest the distress sale of the minor forest produce (MFP).
About Sal Trees:
- The sal tree is native to India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Tibet and across the Himalayan regions.
- Habitat: Dense dry deciduous forests, on hill slopes, and flat grounds and in evergreen moist forests
- It is found where the soil is deep
- It is resistant to fire, and thus often a dominant tree in Indian forests.
- Classified under the Minor Forest Produce and state government provides Minimum Support Price