Context: The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) voted unanimously to adopt India’s proposal for developing digital public infrastructure (DPI) as the right way for deploying digital technology,
More about the News:
- Developing DPI will include platforms such as Aadhaar, United Payments Interface (UPI), DigiLocker, and DPI in agriculture, education and finance.
- Also, at the G7 meeting of health ministers, India proposed convergence of all digital initiatives through a “global initiative on digital health” to be housed at the WHO
Benefits of DPI:
- Aadhaar enables the direct transfer of social safety net payments, reducing leakages and corruption
- Digital payments expanded smaller merchants’ customer base and improved access to financial services.
- Digitalization formalized the economy, with nearly 9 million new GST taxpayers CoWIN platform scaled India’s vaccine delivery services.