Facts For Prelims
Context: The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-in) may soon be exempt from responding to queries under the Right to Information (RTI) Act 2005.
Background: The DoPT has reviewed a proposal from the MeitY to include CERT-in in the 2nd Schedule to the RTI Act, which deals with exempted organisations like the CBI and the BSF.
- It is an office within the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) established in 2004 under the IT Act 2000.
- It is the nodal agency to
- To deal with cyber security threats.
- To strengthen the security-related defence of the Indian Internet domain.
- Coordinate with public and private organisations in India when cyber incidents like data breaches and ransomware attacks are reported.
- To issue advisories for software vulnerabilities as guidance for organisations.