GS Paper 3
Context: A new finding on animal behaviours
An animal must be at the right place, at the right time, to avoid predators, find food, and reproduce successfully
- As an analogy: The interactions between the animals in a given ecosystem are like a theatrical production. For the production to be a success, each actor has to be on stage, in the right place, and they must act and deliver their lines at the right time.
- As per the new study, human activities might disturb these ecological interactions and increase interspecies encounters.
- Impact of farms: Wild animals of different species were more likely to come to human-altered landscapes, like farms than in more undisturbed locations, such as national forests.
- Frequent interaction can lead to intensifying competition for resources or increasing the risk of interspecies disease transmission.
- Even when the animals do not come face-to-face, simply hearing or smelling a predator can have “dramatic effects” on the behaviours of prey species
What is an ecological niche?
In ecology, the term “niche” describes the role an organism plays in a community.
What is an Ecosystem?
Q. Conflict between people and animals is one of the main threats to the continued survival of many species. Analyze the causes behind rising cases of man-animal conflict. (15M)