GS Paper 2
Context: Under the G20, the presidency of India from December 01, 2022, to November 30, 2023, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is organizing the Urban 20 event.
About Urban 20:
- U20 is an important city diplomacy initiative, which reinforces the role of cities in taking the sustainable agenda forward.
- Urban-20 (U20), one of the Engagement Groups of G20, provides a platform for cities from G20 countries to facilitate discussions on various important issues of urban development including climate change, social inclusion, sustainable mobility, and affordable housing, and propose collective solutions.
- The U20 2023 Cycle will be chaired by the City of Ahmedabad
- The Urban 20 (U20) is a city diplomacy initiative launched on December 12, 2017, at the One Planet Summit in Paris.
- It aims to facilitate lasting engagement between the G20 and cities, raise the profile of urban issues in the G20 agenda, and establish a forum for cities to develop a collective message and perspective to inform G20 negotiations.
- C40 Cities (C40) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) convene the U20 under the leadership of a Chair city that rotates annually, based in the G20 host country.
- Ahmedabad will showcase its unique urban development and climate change initiatives and rich culture and heritage to the participants.
- Resonating with India’s G20 theme of ‘वसुधैवकुटुम्बकम् – One Earth, One Family, One Future’, U20 Ahmedabad will emphasize that actions at the city level can drive lasting positive global outcomes underscoring the interconnectedness of the world and our shared future. The effort of this cycle will be to move from ‘intention to action’ and draft a roadmap for closing the gaps between policy and practice to address critical urban issues.
Why focus on urban development:
Today, more than half of the global population lives in cities, and it is estimated that cities will host two-thirds of all people by 2050. Cities also consume over 75% of the world’s energy, generate 75% of related emissions, and they are experiencing the impacts of climate change first-hand.
Priority areas for the Urban 20 event are as follows:
- Encouraging environmentally responsive behaviour
- Ensuring water security
- Accelerating Climate Finance
- Leveraging ‘local’ potential and identity
- Reinventing urban governance and planning frameworks
- Catalyzing digital urban futures
Mains Link: UPSC 2019
Q. The basis of providing urban amenities in rural areas (PURA) is rooted in establishing connectivity. Comment.