GS Paper 4
Syllabus: Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers
Source: Indian Express
Direction: Certain examples and instances from the life of Sardar Patel can add value to your GS4 answers. Do note them down in your notes.
Context: On Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s 72nd death anniversary, let us understand his contribution towards nation-building and certain ethical values from his personal life.
About Sardar Patel:
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel was an Indian attorney and statesman. He was a dedicated patriot, a great administrator, and a loyal servant of the nation.
- For his fearless approach to consolidating India’s political map, he has been dubbed the “Iron Man of India.” For establishing contemporary All-India Services, he is also known as the “Patron Saint” of India’s civil services.
Ethical Values from the life of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel:
- As a fiery champion of fundamental rights and liberty, he was convinced that these values were essential prerequisites for the development of an individual and a nation.
- He always raised his voice on issues against exploitation and criticized the high-handedness of authority, the exploitative revenue policy of the Government, and maladministration in the Princely states.
- He was attracted by Gandhian policies of non-violence, spirituality, discipline, and moral strength
- He actively participated in the all-India freedom struggle and in movements against the exploitative policies of the British.
- Patel was a firm believer in Hindu-Muslim harmony. He said in his presidential address in Karachi in 1931 that as a Hindu, he would give the Muslims a Swadeshi fountain pen and invite them to write down their requests, which he would accept without condition or revision.
- According to him the only way to build Hindu-Muslim unity is via trust and equality
Sardar Patel’s views on China:
- On November 7, 1950, Patel wrote a letter to Nehru detailing his apprehensions about Chinese designs on Tibet and on India itself.
- History has borne out that Patel’s estimate of China was astute and prescient.
Sardar Patel’s vision for civil services:
This we had covered in detail earlier here.