GS Paper 2
Syllabus: Social Justice/ Governance
Source: Financial express
Context: Five key social sector departments – health, women and child development, rural development and panchayat raj, education, and housing and urban affairs – have joined the PM Gati Shakti Scheme, aimed at cutting India’s logistical costs
- Implementing agency: DPIIT (Department for promotion of Industry and Internal Trade) of the commerce and industry ministry.
How Gati Shakti will improve the functioning of these social sector departments:
- Improved Planning of the projects
- Improved coordination among departments e.g., concerned departments can upload their GIS data (Geographic Information System) to be shared among other departments.
- Improved monitoring of projects
- Improved evaluation of the impact of the projects.
About PM Gati-Shakti National Master Plan
PM Gati Shakti Master Plan (2021), is a Rs. 100 lakh-crore project for developing ‘holistic infrastructure’. It aims to ensure the speed (Gati) and Power (Shakti) of infrastructure projects in the next four years, with a focus on expediting works on the ground, saving costs and creating jobs, and bringing down the logistics cost.
Gati Shakti scheme will give the necessary push to infrastructure development:
- Boost to infrastructure: A plug-and-play model for industrial parks. It will subsume National Infrastructure Pipeline launched in 2019
- Helps solve logistical issues: India’s logistics cost burden is 13-14% of GDP, compared to 6-8% in more competitive economies.
- Curbs red-tapism: g., the Railways has started a ‘Common Drawing Approval System’ on an online platform, so all the approvals can be accessed on one portal.
- Increased coordination: Gati Shakti will bring together 16 infrastructure-related Ministries.
- Incorporation of various projects from different ministries: Gati Shakti will incorporate the infrastructure schemes of various Union ministries and state governments: Bharatmala, Sagarmala, UDAN, inland waterways, dry/land ports, etc.
PM GatiShakti — National Master Plan
Q. Gati Shakti will ensure integrated planning and implementation of infrastructure projects in the coming years, with a focus on expediting works on the ground, saving costs and creating jobs. Discuss. (250 Words) (UPSC Mains 2022)