GS paper 2
Syllabus: Issues related to poverty and hunger, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection of vulnerable sections of society etc
Directions: The report is important and often Indian government has disputed its findings.
Context: India ranks 107 out of 121 countries (under the “serious category”) on the Global Hunger Index released by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe.
- Earlier India’s rank was 101 (2021)
- Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organisation dedicated to tackling poverty and suffering in the world’s poorest countries.
- Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest private aid organisations in Germany, independent of politics and religion.
- Stagnant: Progress against hunger has largely stagnated in recent years.
- Moderate: The 2022 GHI score for the world is considered “moderate”.
- Slight improvement: 2(eighteen point two)in 2022 from 19.1(nineteen point one)in 2014
India on the index:
- Serious category: India’s score of 29.1(twenty nine point one places) is in the ‘serious’ category.
- Neighbouring countries: India also ranks below Sri Lanka (64), Nepal (81), Bangladesh (84), and Pakistan (99).
- Afghanistan (109): It is the only country in South Asia that performs worse than India on the index.
- India’s child wasting rate (low weight for height): It is 19.3(nineteen point three)%, worse than the levels recorded in 2014 (15.1(fifteen point one)%).
- Undernourishment: It has risen in the country from 14.6(fourteen point six)% in 2018-2020 to 16.3(sixteen point three)% in 2019-2021.
- Improvement in child stunting and child mortality between 2014 and 2022:
- Child stunting has declined from 38.7(thirty eight point seven)% to 35.5(thirty five point five)%.
- Child mortality has also dropped from 4.6(four point six)% to 3.3(three point three)%.
Reasons for the fallout globally:
- Climate change
- Economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Ukraine war
Some Related Initiatives by India for reducing hunger:
- Eat Right India Movement
- POSHAN Abhiyan
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- Food Fortification
- National Food Security Act, 2013
- Mission Indradhanush
- Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme
- Despite the Consistent experience of High growth, India still goes with the lowest indicators of human development. Examine the issues that make balanced and inclusive development elusive. (UPSC 2019)
- Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe