GS Paper 2
Syllabus: Governance/Social Justice
Source: Indian Express, Indian Express
Direction: NCRB data are important. You can quote it in any of the answers. Try to remember a rough estimate of data e.g. if data shows “crime rate of women is up by 15.3%”, you may remember as the crime rate has increased by more than 15%. No need to remember the exact percentage. Analyse the trend and have a rough estimate.
Context: NCRB has released its report on various crime statistics.
Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India 2021
- Suicide: 120 deaths per mn population (the highest level ever recorded)
- At the national level, the number of suicides increased by 7.17 per cent from the years 2020 to 2021.
- Daily wage earners remained the largest profession-wise group among suicide victims in 2021
- The overall share of “Persons engaged in the farming sector” among the total recorded suicides stood at 6.6 per cent during 2021
- Maximum suicide in Maharastra
- Reasons: Mainly being Pandemic-induced mental health issues, Family Problems (other than marriage-related problems), Marriage Related Problems, and Illness.
- Deaths in road accidents up by 17%
- In 2021, 1.55 lakh people died in accidents on Indian roads, up from 1.33 lakh in 2020
- Total road accidents reported was 4.03 lakh in 2021
- A maximum number of cases were reported in Tamil Nadu.
- Reasons: Speeding caused 87,000 deaths, accounting for over half of all deaths, while dangerous and careless driving caused over 42000 deaths.
Crime against Women:
- The NCRB report also shows that the rate of crime against women (the number of incidents per 1 lakh population) increased from 56.5 per cent in 2020 to 64.5 per cent in 2021.
- Categories of crime: (31.8 per cent) fall in the category of “Cruelty by husband or his relatives’’, followed by “Assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty” (20.8 per cent), kidnapping and abduction (17.6 per cent), and rape (7.4 per cent).
- The report places Uttar Pradesh on top (56,083) in terms of the actual number of cases registered in 2021,
- Nagaland stood out with the lowest number of crimes against women registered in the past three years
- Only 507 cases were registered in the country under the Domestic Violence Act in 2021 — 0.1 per cent of the total cases of crime against women: Showing an under-reporting of cases.
Also, violent crimes in the country are back to the Pre-Covid level.
- In 1986 (based on recommendations of the Tandon Committee, MHA Taskforce and National Police Commission (1977))
- It acts under the Ministry of Home Affairsand functions as a repository of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
- NCRB looks after CCTNS (Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems) and Central Finger Print Bureau
- It released reports: Crimes in India, Prison Statistics in India and Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India.
NCRB data on offence against State
You can use the data in your mains answer writing. As said in the direction, just have a rough estimate and know the trend of increase/decrease.
Q. Examine the causes of high rate of road accidents in India in comparison to other countries. (15M)