GS Paper 2
Syllabus: Welfare schemes
Source: Live Mint
Context: JJM hit 51% completion of the project. From less than 17% of households with a running tap water connection, JJM has enabled reach to more than 34% now in less than 3 years.
About 1.4 million soak beds have been constructed in schools and anganwadis to use recycled water in tap connections.
How does a village certify as Har Ghar Jal?
Only after the formal resolution by the gram panchayat, with a video recording of the session which has to be uploaded on the portal, can they be counted as a village with Har Ghar Jal.
Which are the best-performing states?
Three states have declared that they have completed the project: Haryana, Telangana and Goa. But there is substantial progress in Punjab, Gujarat and Bihar, which, although it started a year late, has progressed quickly in providing tap water supplies to rural households.
About the Jal Jeevan Mission:
JJM envisages a supply of 55 litres of water per person per day to every rural household through Functional Household Tap Connections (FHTC) by 2024.
It is under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It was launched in 2019.
- Funding is demand-driven.
- The mission is very strongly focused on Jan bhagidari, or community engagement which is seen as a very important pillar of the project.
The mission ensures:
- Functionality of existing water supply systems and water connections.
- Water quality monitoring and testing as well as sustainable agriculture.
- Coordinated use of surface water and groundwater
- Drinking water source augmentation.
- Drinking water supply system, grey water treatment and its reuse.
It also encompasses:
- Prioritizing provision of FHTCs in poor water quality affected areas, villages in drought-prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- Providing functional tap connection to Schools, Anganwadi centres, Gram Panchayat buildings, Health centres, wellness centres and community buildings.
- Technological interventions for removal of contaminants where water quality is an issue.
Q. The Jal Jeevan Mission will be a major step towards improving our people’s ease of living and meeting their aspirations of a New India. Analyse. (250 words)