Syllabus: Global grouping involving India, SCO etc
- Iran and Belarus are likely to be the two newest additions to the China and Russia-backed Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- India will host the SCO summit next year, and Varanasi has been selected as the SCO region’s first “Tourism and Cultural Capital”.
- Iran to become a member and call on Belarus’s membership: Iran will become a full member after completing the formalities while Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member states who follow the system of consensus in deciding admission of new members will take a call on Belarus’s application.
- First expansion after 2017: This is the first expansion of the SCO after India and Pakistan were admitted to the grouping in 2017.
- Counter to west: China and Russia are looking to frame the grouping as a counter to the West — particularly after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- SCO’s rising international influence: The significance of this round of expansion is that it shows SCO’s rising international influence and that the principles of the SCO charter are widely accepted, Secretary General SCO Zhang Ming said.
- SCO is different from NATO: The expansion of NATO is totally different as the SCO is a cooperative organization based on non-alignment and not targeting a third party, while NATO is based on Cold War thinking
- Security at the expense of other countries: The SCO believes one should not build its security at the expense of other countries while NATO is creating new enemies to sustain its own existence.
- International order fairer and more reasonable: The SCO member states are thinking of how to adapt to the profound changes that the international situation is undergoing so as to make the international order fairer and more reasonable.
- Agreements on connectivity and high-efficiency transport corridors: Samarkand summit is expected to have agreements on connectivity and high-efficiency transport corridors and a roadmap for local currency settlement among member states.
Objectives of SCO:
Q. Critically examine the aims and objectives of SCO. What importance does it hold for India? (UPSC 2021)
Q. Which of the following is/are observer members of SCO?
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
a. 1, 2 and 3 only
b. 1 and 2 only
c. 2, 3 and 4 only
d. 1, 3 and 4 only
Refer to the image above