GS Paper 2
Syllabus: India and neighbourhood- relations
- At the seventh round of the India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Commission, External Affairs Minister extended India’s assistance in the management of the annual flood in Bangladesh.
- Collaborations agreed on: Artificial Intelligence, startups, fintech and cybersecurity.
- Joint Statement: Two countries remain focused on the “importance of safe, speedy, and sustainable return of forcibly displaced persons from Rakhine State Myanmar, currently being sheltered by Bangladesh”.
Reasons for recent floods in Bangladesh:
- Climate Change
- Skewed Rainfall Pattern:80% of the precipitation takes place in the monsoon months from June to September
- Trans-National Rivers from India example: Bharmaputra, Teesta etc.
- Unplanned Development
Q. Examine the various impediments in Indo-Bangladesh relations. Are the steps taken sufficient? Critically analyze. (15M)
Q. With reference to Teesta river, consider the following statements:
- Teesta river is a tributary of the Ganga river.
- It originates in the Himalayas in Sikkim And flows to the south through Assam before entering Bangladesh.
Which of the statements given above is/are not correct?
a. 1 only
b. 2 only
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2