GS Paper 3:
Syllabus: Food Security related issues.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)’s 4th State Food Safety Index (SFSI) was released on the occasion of World Food Safety Day (June 7).
- It seeks to measure the performance of States across five parameters of food safety.
What is the State Food Safety Index (SFSI)?
- The index was developed by FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) in 2018-19 to measure the performance of states on five significant parameters of Food Safety.
- The parameters include Human Resources and Institutional Data, Compliance, Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance, Training & Capacity Building and Consumer Empowerment.
- The index will help in providing safe and nutritious food to our citizens.
Performance of various states:
- Tamil Nadu topped the State Food Safety Index followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Among Smaller States, Goa stood first, followed by Manipur and Sikkim.
- Among UTs, Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi and Chandigarh secured first, second and third ranks.
What is World food safety day?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) jointly facilitate the observance of World Food Safety Day, in collaboration with Member States and other relevant organizations.
- It was first celebrated in 2019.
- Objective: To strengthen the commitment to scale up food safety made by the Addis Ababa Conference and the Geneva Forum in 2019 under the umbrella of “The Future of Food Safety”.
- The theme for 2022 was Safer Food, Better Health.
- About the World Food Safety Day.
- About the State Food Safety Index.
- State Food Safety Index – Performance of various states.
Discuss the significance of the State Food Safety Index.
Q. 2) Consider the following statements:
- State Food Safety Index (SFSI) was developed by FSSAI.
- World food safety day was first celebrated in 2019.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only.
- 2 only.
Sources: the Hindu.