GS Paper 1:
Syllabus: Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
According to ASI, the Odisha state government was constructing the Puri Heritage Corridor project without proper licence in protected and controlled areas of the monument.
- A PIL has been filed in court against the proposal, which has prompted worries about its influence on the structural safety of the Puri temple.
What is the Puri heritage corridor project?
- Conceived in 2016, the Project aims to transform the holy town of Puri into an international place of heritage.
- The project includes redevelopment of Puri lake and Musa river revival plan.
About Puri Jagannath Temple:
- It is an important Vaishnavite temple dedicated to Jagannath, a form of Sri Krishna in Puri in Odisha.
- The temple is believed to have been constructed in the 12th century by King Anatavarman Chodaganga Deva of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty.
- Jagannath Puri temple is called ‘Yamanika Tirtha’ where, according to the Hindu beliefs, the power of ‘Yama’, the god of death has been nullified in Puri due to the presence of Lord Jagannath.
- The Puri temple is famous for its annual Ratha Yatra, or chariot festival, in which the three principal deities are pulled on huge and elaborately decorated temple cars.
Did you know that the idol of Jagannatha is made of wood and is ceremoniously replaced in every twelve or nineteen years by using sacred trees?
- About Puri Jagannath temple.
- Nagara Architecture.
- Puri Rath Yatra.
- Puri heritage corridor.
Discuss the significance of the Puri heritage corridor project.
[Q.1) Which of the following is famously known as ‘Yamanika Tirtha’?
- Jagannath Temple.
- Vijaya Vittala Temple.
- Kailashnath Temple.
- None of the above. ]
Sources: Indian Express.