GS Paper 3:
Topics Covered: Developments in Science and Technology (IT & Computers).
Union Minister of Communications, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, recently said that the commercial rollout of 5G services could be expected from August-September 2022 onwards.
- The government is confident of resolving issues related to high spectrum pricing with the industry.
What is 5G?
- 5G is the next generation of mobile broadband that will eventually replace, or at least augment 4G LTE connection.
Features and benefits of the 5G technology:
- Operate in the millimeter wave spectrum (30-300 GHz) which have the advantage of sending large amounts of data at very high speeds.
- Operates in 3 bands, namely low, mid and high frequency spectrum.
- Reduced latency will support new applications that leverage the power of 5G, the Internet of Things (IoT), and artificial intelligence.
- Increased capacity on 5G networks can minimize the impact of load spikes, like those that take place during sporting events and news events.
Significance of the technology:
India’s National Digital Communications Policy 2018 highlights the importance of 5G when it states that the convergence of a cluster of revolutionary technologies including 5G, the cloud, Internet of Things (IoT) and data analytics, along with a growing start-up community, promise to accelerate and deepen its digital engagement, opening up a new horizon of opportunities.
Challenges for 5G Roll-out in India:
Procedural Delays: India’s telecom sector is greatly affected by the procedural delays and their multiple issues.
Affordability of Spectrum: Many countries around the world may already roll out 5G connectivity to its users but, in India, the 5G spectrum is yet to be allocated.
Last-mile Connectivity: Catering to last-mile broadband connectivity in Tier-II, Tier-III cities and rural homes are challenging since India lacks optical fiber infrastructure and Greenfield deployment which has immensely affected last-mile connectivity.
Affordable 5G Devices: On the consumer front, affordable 5G devices are yet to take their place in the market.
Is India prepared for roll-out of 5G? Read here
- What is 5G?
- Differences between 3G, 4G and 5G.
- What is a spectrum?
- About EMF Project.
Discuss the significance of 5G technology.
Sources: Indian Express.