GS Paper 2:
Topics Covered: Important Constitutional posts.
The customary governor’s address on the opening day of the budget session of a state assembly was mired in controversy recently in West Bengal and Telangana.
What happened in West Bengal?
The governor of West Bengal, Jagdeep Dhankhar, was unable to deliver his address at the Vidhan Sabha on the first day of the budget session, amid sloganeering, chaos and protests.
What happened in Telangana?
In Telangana, the budget session of the state assembly commenced without the customary governor’s address, and the incumbent, Tamilisai Soundararajan, expressed discontent over the state government’s decision to not have the governor’s address at the beginning of the session.
Article 176(1) of the Constitution of India enjoins that the Governor shall Address both the Houses assembled together at the commencement of the first Session after each general election to the Assembly and at the commencement of the first session of each year and inform the Legislature of the causes of its Summons.
What it contains?
The Address of the Governor contains a review of the activities and Achievements of the Government during the previous year and their policy with regard to important internal problems as well as a brief account of the programme of Government Business for the session.
Discussions on Governor’s address:
- On the first day on which the discussion on the Address of the Governor begins, a copy of the Address of the Governor is laid on the table of the House.
- The Speaker, in consultation with the Business Advisory Committee, allots time for discussion of the matters referred to in the Governor’s Address.
- A motion is moved by a member and seconded by another member thanking the Governor for the Address.
- The occasion provided for General Discussion in respect of any aspect of administration and also the matters referred to in the address.
- Members may move Amendments to the Motion of Thanks in such form as may be considered appropriate by the Speaker.
Do you know about the Motion of thanks to the president?
Read this article to understand.
Do you know what happens if the President disagrees with the text of the speech? Are they still bound to read it? Reference: read this.
- What is Motion of Thanks?
- Its passage.
- Provisions governing them.
- About President’s address.
- Constitutional provisions.
- First Constitutional Amendment.
- What procedures follow the address?
- If the President disagrees with the text of the speech, are they still bound to read it?
What is Motion of Thanks? Discuss its significance.
Sources: the Hindu.