GS Paper 2:
Topics Covered: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Janaushadhi Diwas week to be observed from 1st March to 7th March 2022.
- Theme of 4th Janaushadhi Diwas: “Jan Aushadhi-Jan Upyogi”
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) is the implementing agency of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
Performance of the scheme:
- All the districts of the country have been covered under the scheme.
- Effective IT-enabled logistics and supply-chain systems for ensuring real-time distribution of medicines at all outlets have also been introduced.
- Product basket of PMBJP presently comprises 1,451 drugs and 240 surgical instruments.
It is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals of the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- It seeks to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses through special kendra’s known as Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- Initially launched in 2008, the scheme was rechristened in 2015.
Key features of the scheme:
- Ensure access to quality medicines.
- Extend coverage of quality generic medicines so as to reduce the out of pocket expenditure on medicines and thereby redefine the unit cost of treatment per person.
- Create awareness about generic medicines through education and publicity so that quality is not synonymous with only high price.
- A public programme involving Government, PSUs, Private Sector, NGO, Societies, Co-operative Bodies and other Institutions.
- Create demand for generic medicines by improving access to better healthcare through low treatment cost and easy availability wherever needed in all therapeutic categories.
Did you know that the first WHO draft text on GMP was adopted in 1968? In 1969, when the World Health Assembly recommended the first version of the WHO Certification Scheme on the quality of pharmaceutical products moving in the global market, it accepted the WHO GMP as an integral part of the Scheme. Reference: read this.
- When was the scheme launched?
- When was it renamed?
- The scheme was launched by which Ministry?
- About BPPI- establishment and functions.
- What is a generic medicine?
Discuss the need for and significance of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Priyojana (PMBJP).