Topic: Quality of Service delivery, utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption
7. You are posted as Block Development officer in a backward block. Your primary task is to ensure pension disbursement to all beneficiaries. In order to bring transparency and accountability, government has released a new app where biometrics of beneficiaries is captured while disbursing pension. App has failed to function in your area while it is a success in other blocks. The reason for failure is lack of proper network connectivity. Now, higher up orally suggests you to do manual pension distribution so that beneficiaries aren’t put to trouble. What will you do? Please justify your action (250 words)
Why the question?
Digitization of welfare services in the country and issues arising out of it; oral instructions given by higher-ups and issues arising out of it.
Structure of the answer
You can summarize the case study in a brief manner or highlight the importance of transparency and accountability in delivery of public services.
- Highlight the challenges for you in the case
- Highlight the options available for you- discussing their pros and cons
- Provide a course of action chosen by you- justify your course of action by quoting any ethical philosophy to justify the action.
- You can give any examples of actions taken by leaders in a similar situation or you can quote any judgments given by the courts or the recommendations made by any committees to further justify your course of action
Suggest ways through which issues like this could be handled practically in the society in present times.