GS Paper 2:
Topics Covered: India and its neighbourhood- relations.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said that the United States will expand its military and economic relationships with partners in Asia to push back against China’s increasing assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific.
What is Indo- Pacific?
The idea of the Indo-Pacific as a single strategic space is an outgrowth of China’s growing influence in the Indian Ocean region. It signifies the interconnectedness of the Indian and Pacific Oceans, the importance of the oceans to security and commerce.
Importance of Indo-Pacific region:
- Maintaining regional stability.
- Strong ties with the US are seen as a vital tool for enhancing India’s strategic posture.
- For the long-term vision of national interest.
- China’s increasingly active presence in the Indian Ocean region as well as its efforts to expand geopolitical reach in Asia and beyond by the use of trade and military.
- For adhering to freedom of navigation, adherence to rules-based order and stable trade environment.
- For free sea and air lanes, connectivity and upholding international rules and norms.
Role and Implications for India in the Indo – pacific region:
- The Indo-Pacific, as described in the National security strategy, represents the most populous and economically dynamic part of the world and stretches from the west coast of India to the western shores of the United States.
- India has always been a country with great national ambitions and is one of the most important advocates of the concept of “Indo-Pacific Strategy”.
- With opening of economy, India has been connecting with its Indian Ocean neighbours and major maritime powers of the world.
- About Pacific Region.
- Overview of Indian Ocean Region.
- Important straits, bays and passes in these regions.
Discuss the strategic significance of Indo- Pacific region for India.
Sources: the Hindu.