GS Paper 1:
Topics Covered: Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Puri heritage corridor is being developed at a cost of Rs 800 crore in Odisha.
What is the Puri heritage corridor project?
- Conceived in 2016, the Project aims to transform the holy town of Puri into an international place of heritage.
- A total of 22 different projects will be executed in a phased manner.
- Funds have been allocated under the state government’s Augmentation of Basic Amenities and Development of Heritage and Architecture at Puri (ABADHA) scheme.
- The project includes redevelopment of Puri lake and Musa river revival plan.
About Puri Jagannath Temple:
- It is an important Vaishnavite temple dedicated to Jagannath, a form of Sri Krishna in Puri in Odisha.
- The temple is believed to be constructed in the 12th century by King Anatavarman Chodaganga Deva of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty.
- Jagannath Puri temple is called ‘Yamanika Tirtha’ where, according to the Hindu beliefs, the power of ‘Yama’, the god of death has been nullified in Puri due to the presence of Lord Jagannath.
- This temple was called the “White Pagoda” and is a part of Char Dham pilgrimages (Badrinath, Dwaraka, Puri, Rameswaram).
- The Puri temple is famous for its annual Ratha Yatra, or chariot festival, in which the three principal deities are pulled on huge and elaborately decorated temple cars.
Did you know that the idol of Jagannatha is made of wood and is ceremoniously replaced in every twelve or nineteen years by using sacred trees?
- About Puri Jagannath temple.
- Nagara Architecture.
- Puri Rath Yatra.
- Puri heritage corridor.
Discuss the significance of Puri heritage corridor project.
Sources: Indian Express.