GS Paper 1:
Topics Covered: India and its neighbourhood- relations.
November 18 marks the 59th anniversary of the Battle of Rezang La. A memorial was inaugurated on the occasion.
Where is Rezang La?
Rezang La is a mountain pass on the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh.
It is located between village of Chushul and the Spanggur Lake that stretches across both Indian and Chinese territories.
It had also been the site of a heroic battle on 18 November 1962.
About the battle:
- Troops from the 13 Kumaon Regiment defeated several waves of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army in 1962.
- Despite being heavily outnumbered, soldiers of the regiment fought to the last man standing, under freezing temperatures, and with limited ammunition.
Significance of the region:
Rezang La is vital for the defence of the crucially important Chushul. Any invader reaching there would have had a free run to Leh.
All you need to know about the Indo- China border dispute: read this.
- About the Battle of Rezang La.
- What is LoC and how is it established, geographical extent and significance?
- What is LAC?
- Where is Nathu la?
- Where is Pangong Tso?
- Who administers Akashi Chin?
Discuss the significance of Rezang La for India.
Sources: the Hindu.