GS Paper 2
Topics covered: International relations
Context: China’s display of air force against Taiwan. Display of military power like this has been on the rise by China against Taiwan
- China has claimed Taiwan through its “one China” policysince the Chinese civil war forced the defeated Kuomintang, or Nationalist, to flee to the island in 1949 and has vowed to bring it under Beijing’s rule, by force if necessary.
- While Taiwan is self-governed and de facto independent, it has never formally declared independence from the mainland.
- Under the “one country, two systems” formula,Taiwan would have the right to run its own affairs; a similar arrangement is used in Hong Kong.
- Presently, Taiwan is claimed by China, which refuses diplomatic relations with countries that recognize the region.
- Although they do not have formal diplomatic ties, Taiwan and India have been cooperating in various fields.
- India has refused to endorse the “one-China” policy since 2010.
- Location of Taiwan and its historical background.
- Regions being administered by China under One China policy.
- Is Taiwan represented at WHO and the United Nations?
- Countries in South China Sea.
- Qing dynasty.
Write a note on India- Taiwan bilateral relations.
Source: The Hindu