GS Paper 2
Taliban recently seized more major cities and raced to take full control of Afghanistan with the U.S. and Britain deploying troops to evacuate their citizens.
Non-governmental player Taliban has been making advances to return to power with sheer display of violence after USA’s decision of withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Afghanistan and its strategic location:
- Can have spill over to Neighbouring central Asian countries like Tajikistan, Uzbekiatan etc
- Taliban resurgence will revive extremism in the region and the region can become a safe sanctuary for Let,ISIS etc.
- Civil war in Afghanistan will lead to a refugee crisis in Central Asia and beyond.
- Afghanistan’s stability will help the Central Asian countries with the shortest access to the seaports of the Indian ocean.
- Afghanistan has been an important link in the regional trade, cultural, playing the role of a connecting bridge for Central and the rest of the world.
Why it is imperative now for India to engage with Taliban?
- Taliban is now having a significant presence in Afghanistan.
- India is already having huge investments in Afghanistan.To secure assets worth $3 billion, India should engage with all parties in Afghanistan.
- Taliban engaging with Pak deep state will not be in India’s best interest.
- If India does not engage now Russia, Iran, Pakistan and China will emerge as the shapers of Afghanistan’s political and geopolitical destiny, which for sure will be detrimental to Indian interests.
- The U.S. has announced a new, surprise formation of a “Quad” on regional connectivity — U.S.-Uzbekistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan that does not include India.
- India’s effort to trade with Afghanistan Via Chabahar port in order to increase the economy on scale.
Need of the hour:
- Urgent need to collectively act for the safety of Afghan civilians by checking violence by Taliban
- Afghanistan should be given enough space in Central Asian architectures like SCO (Shanghai cooperation organisation)
- The USA,Iran,China,and Russia should actively involve India to maintain stability in Afghanistan.
- Unified action for the refugee crisis if it arises.
- Indian engagement with Taliban to maintain peace with immediate neighbours.
Know about the US- Taliban peace deal: Click here
- About Taliban.
- Afghan Crisis.
- About NATO.
- India’s investments in Afghanistan Projects.
Discuss why India should engage with Afghanistan now.
Sources: the Hindu.