GS Paper : 2
Topics Covered: Issues related to Health.
The Union Health Ministry has rushed a multidisciplinary team to Maharashtra to monitor the Zika virus situation and support the State government in management of infections. Recei, a case of Zika has been reported in Pune district.
- The Zika virus is predominantly transmitted by infected mosquitoes from the Aedes genus, mainly Aedes aegypti. The Aedes mosquitoes also spread dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever.
- The virus was first identified in Uganda in 1947 in monkeys.
- Apart from the mosquitoes, an infected person can also spread the virus.
- Generally, the symptoms include fever, rash, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise, or headache. It lasts for about two to seven days. Most infected people do not develop any symptoms.
- Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause infants to be born with microcephaly (smaller than normal head size) and other congenital malformations, known as congenital Zika syndrome.
- It has no treatment or vaccine. Instead, the focus is on relieving symptoms and includes rest, rehydration and acetaminophen for fever and pain.
Did you know that in 2019 transgenic mosquitoes were released in some areas of Brazil? What was the objective of this experiment? Reference:
- About Zika Virus Disease.
Sources: the Hindu.