Topics Covered: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
‘Scene of crime officers’ in Karnataka police:
Karnataka Government is planning to recruit 206 ‘scene of crime officers’ (SoC officers) across the state.
Who are they?
- Scene of Crime officers will have a rank equivalent to police sub-inspector and will be part of the Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories.
- The SoC officers will specialise in forensic science as well in identification, collection and preservation of evidence at the scene of the crime.
- These officers will be trained investigators, who will undergo training at National Forensic Sciences University in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, and Central Forensic Science Laboratory in Hyderabad.
- According to the initial plans by the police department, all districts will have one SoC unit with four to five SoC officials.
According to the Karnataka police, this is the first time in the country that dedicated officials will be deployed for evidence collection, a system that exists in advanced countries.
- In 1961 in London, the first crime scene officer post was created.
Sources: Indian Express.