Topics Covered: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Information Fusion Centre for Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR):
The United Kingdom has appointed a liaison officer to the Indian Navy’s Information Fusion Centre for Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR), which is meant for maritime domain awareness.
- The IFC-IOR was set up in 2018 to coordinate with regional countries on maritime issues and act as a regional repository of maritime data.
- It presently has linkages with 21 partner countries and 22 multi-national agencies across the globe.
- It is located in Gurugram, India.
Roles and functions of a liaison officer:
The liaison officer will be based full-time at the centre, working directly with the Indian armed forces and fellow liaison officers from partner nations to enhance maritime domain awareness in the region.
- International Liaison Officers (ILO) from 13 countries have been invited, and ILOs from countries had joined earlier- Australia, France, Japan and the U.S.. The U.K. is the 5th country to post an ILO.
Do you know about the Indian Ocean Commision? Read Here (Briefly)
- What is IFC- IOR?
- What is the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Centre (RMIFC)?
- Who established European-led mission in the Strait of Hormuz (EMASOH)?
- Locate Persian Gulf and strait of Hormuz.
Discuss how observer status at the Indian Ocean Commission helps India secure its strategic objectives.
Sources: the Hindu.