Topics Covered: Awareness in space.
Hubble Space Telescope:
Nasa reports trouble with the Hubble Space Telescope. The telescope has been down for the past few days. The problem is a payload computer that has stopped working.
The payload computer’s purpose is to control and coordinate the science instruments and monitor them for health and safety purposes.
About the Hubble Space Telescope:
- The Hubble Space Telescope is a large telescope in space. NASA launched Hubble in 1990.
- It was built by the United States space agency NASA, with contributions from the European Space Agency.
- Hubble is the only telescope designed to be serviced in space by astronauts.
- Expanding the frontiers of the visible Universe, the Hubble Space Telescope looks deep into space with cameras that can see across the entire optical spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet.
- The Hubble Space Telescope makes one orbit around Earth every 95 minutes.
- It has helped in discovering the moons around Pluto.
- Evidence regarding the existence of black holes has emerged based on the observations through Hubble.
- The birth of stars through turbulent clouds of gas and dust have also been observed.
- The hubble telescope made observations of six galaxies merging together.
- On Februry 11, 2021, the Hubble made observations of small concentrations of black holes.
- Do you know the Difference between Hubble’s Telescope and James Webb Telescope? Read here
- Do you know about AstroSat? Read Here
- About the Hubble Space Telescope.
- About James Webb Telescope.
- What is a black hole?
Sources: Times of India.