Topics Covered: Awareness in space.
Three Chinese astronauts enter space station after successful docking operation:
Shenzhou-12 manned spaceship has successfully docked with China’s space station core module Tianhe and entered the orbital capsule.
About China’s Space Station:
- The new multi-module Tiangong station is set to be operational for at least 10 years.
- Tianhe is one of three main components of what would be China’s first self-developed space station, rivalling the only other station in service – the ISS.
- The space station will operate in low-Earth orbit at an altitude of 340-450 km above Earth’s surface.
Significance of the space station:
- The low orbit space station would be the country’s eye from the sky, providing round the clock bird’s-eye view for its astronauts on the rest of the world.
- It shall aid China’s aim to become a major space power by 2030.
China’s space station will be equipped with a robotic-arm over which the US has raised concerns for its possible military applications.
- The Concern is that this technology “could be used in a future system for grappling other satellites”.
Other space stations:
- The only space station currently in orbit is the International Space Station (ISS). The ISS is backed by the United States, Russia, Europe, Japan and Canada.
- So far, China has sent two previous space stations into orbit- the Tiangong-1 and Tiangong-2 were trial stations.
- India is planning to launch its own space station by 2030.
What is Molniya orbit? Read Here (Briefly)
- About ISS.
- Countries involved.
- Previous space stations.
Write a note on the International Space Station.
Sources: the Hindu.