Topics Covered: Infrastructure.
Chennai–Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor (CKIC):
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India have signed a $484 million loan to improve transport connectivity and facilitate industrial development in the Chennai–Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor (CKIC) in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- CKIC is part of India’s East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC), which stretches from West Bengal to Tamil Nadu.
What is an industrial corridor?
- An industrial corridor is basically a corridor consisting of multi-modal transport services that would pass through the states as main arteries.
- Industrial corridors offer effective integration between industry and infrastructure, leading to overall economic and social development.
Industrial corridors constitute world-class infrastructure, such as:
- High-speed transportation network – rail and road.
- Ports with state-of-the-art cargo handling equipment.
- Modern airports.
- Special economic regions/industrial areas.
- Logistic parks/transhipment hubs.
- Knowledge parks focused on catering to industrial needs.
- Complementary infrastructure such as townships/real estate.
Significance of Industrial corridors:
Enhanced connectivity of industrial hubs with hinterland and ports will particularly help increase the participation of Indian manufacturing in global production networks and global value chains, thereby creating jobs along the corridor.
Following eleven industrial corridor projects have been identified and approved for development by the Government of India:
- Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC)
- Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC)
- Extension of CBIC to Kochi via Coimbatore
- Amritsar Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC)
- Hyderabad Nagpur Industrial Corridor (HNIC)
- Hyderabad Warangal Industrial Corridor (HWIC)
- Hyderabad Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (HBIC)
- Bengaluru Mumbai Industrial Corridor (BMIC)
- East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC) with Vizag Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC) as Phase-1
- Odisha Economic Corridor (OEC)
- Delhi Nagpur Industrial Corridor (DNIC)
The development of these eleven industrial corridor projects will be implemented through the National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT).
Do you know about National Investment & Manufacturing Zones (NIMZs)? Read here
- Greenfield vs Brownfield projects.
- What are Industrial Corridors?
Discuss the need for and significance of Industrial corridors.