Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus):
8th ASEAN Defence Ministers Meeting (ADMM) Plus was held recently
- It is being hosted by Brunei as it is the chair of the ASEAN grouping this year.
About ADMM- Plus:
Consistent with the ADMM guiding principles of open and outward looking, the 2nd ADMM in Singapore in 2007 adopted the Concept Paper to establish the ADMM-Plus.
The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
- Eight Dialogue Partners are Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Russia and the USA (collectively referred to as the “Plus Countries”).
- It aims to promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments through greater dialogue and transparency.
Agreed five areas of practical cooperation under this mechanism are:
- Maritime security, counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, peacekeeping operations and military medicine.
In 2013, a new priority area of humanitarian mine action was agreed.
Do you know about SASEAN? Read here (briefly)
- What is ADMM?
- What is ADMM plus?
- Areas of Cooperation under ADMM- Plus.
Sources: the Hindu.