Topics Covered: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
More scrutiny of Israel rights record sought:
Member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation are calling on the UN Human Rights Council to set up a permanent commission to report on human rights violations in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.
- If passed, it would mark an unprecedented level of scrutiny authorised by the UN’s top human rights body.
For details on Israel- Palestine conflict, recent issues, please refer:
In this article, we shall try and learn more about the UNHRC:
- The Council was created by the United Nations General Assembly in 2006. It replaced the former United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
- The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) serves as the Secretariat of the Human Rights Council.
- OHCHR is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The UNHRC has 47 members serving at any time with elections held to fill up seats every year, based on allocations to regions across the world to ensure geographical representation.
- Each elected member serves for a term of three years.
- Countries are disallowed from occupying a seat for more than two consecutive terms.
The Council’s Membership is based on equitable geographical distribution. Seats are distributed as follows:
- African States: 13 seats.
- Asia-Pacific States: 13 seats.
- Latin American and Caribbean States: 8 seats.
- Western European and other States: 7 seats.
- Eastern European States: 6 seats.
- The UNHRC passes non-binding resolutions on human rights issues through a periodic review of all 193 UN member states called the Universal Periodic Review (UPR).
- It oversees expert investigation of violations in specific countries (Special Procedures).
Challenges to UNHRC and Need for reforms:
- Despite the continued participation of several western countries in the UNHRC, they continue to harbour misgivings on the understanding of Human rights.
- Non-compliance has been a serious issue with respect to the UNHRC’s functioning.
- Non-participation of powerful nations such as the US.
- What’s the difference between UNHRC and UNHCR(related to refugee rights)?
- It’s always good to know the names and works of a few important global level NGOs working to ensure human rights. Click Here.
- Where is the west bank?
- Gaza strip.
- Golan heights.
- Who are Hamas?
- What is Al-Nakba?
- About the conflict.
- About UNHRC.
Suggest solutions to end the long standing Israel- Palestine conflict.
Sources: the Hindu.