Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
International Atomic Energy Agency:
The speaker of Iran’s parliament said a three-month monitoring deal between Tehran and the UN nuclear watchdog- IAEA has expired and that its access to images from inside some Iranian nuclear sites would cease.
- The announcement has raised further questions about the future of indirect talks underway between the United States and Iran on reviving the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
What was the deal?
The International Atomic Energy Agency and Tehran struck the three-month monitoring agreement in February to cushion the blow of Iran reducing its cooperation with the agency, and it allowed monitoring of some activities that would otherwise have been axed to continue.
- Iran and global powers have held several rounds of negotiations since April in Vienna, Austria, working on steps that Tehran and Washington must take, on sanctions and nuclear activities, to return to full compliance with the nuclear pact.
- Iran began gradually breaching terms of the 2015 pact with world powers after former President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the deal in 2018 and re-imposed sanctions.
- Set up as the world’s “Atoms for Peace” organization in 1957 within the United Nations family.
- Reports to both the United Nations General Assembly and Security Council.
- Headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
- Works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote the safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies.
- Seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy, and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- Program of Action for Cancer Therapy (PACT)
- Human Health Program.
- Water Availability Enhancement Project.
- International Project on Innovative Nuclear Reactors and Fuel Cycles, 2000.
- What is IAEA? Relation with the UN.
- Members of IAEA.
- Programs of IAEA.
- Board of Governors- composition, voting and functions.
- What is Uranium Enrichment?
Discuss the need for bringing back Iran nuclear deal.
Sources: the Hindu.