Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
External auditor for Hague-based OPCW:
India’s Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has been chosen as the external auditor by the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for a three-year term starting 2021.
- The appointment was made through an election process at the OPCW conference recently.
- India was also selected as the member of the executive council of the OPCW representing Asia group for another two-year term during the OPCW conference.
About the Executive Council:
- It is the governing body of the OPCW.
- The Council consists of 41 OPCW Member States that are elected by the Conference of the States Parties and rotate every two years.
- The Council supervises the activities of the Technical Secretariat and is responsible for promoting the effective implementation of and compliance with the Convention.
- Each Member State has the right, on a rotating basis, to serve on the Executive Council.
- It is an international organization established by the Chemical Weapons Convention, 1997 to implement and enforce the terms of the non-proliferation treaty, which prohibits the use, stockpiling, or transfer of chemical weapons by signatory states.
- The OPCW is authorized to perform inspections to verify that signatory states are complying with the convention.
- By the 2001 Relationship Agreement between the OPCW and the United Nations, the OPCW reports on its inspections and other activities to the UN through the office of the Secretary General.
- The organisation was awarded the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize “for its extensive efforts to eliminate chemical weapons”.
The Chemical Weapons Convention prohibits:
- Developing, producing, acquiring, stockpiling, or retaining chemical weapons.
- The direct or indirect transfer of chemical weapons.
- Chemical weapons use or military preparation for use.
- Assisting, encouraging, or inducing other states to engage in CWC-prohibited activity.
- The use of riot control agents “as a method of warfare.”
- About OPCW.
- What is CWC?
- Functions of the executive council.
- Roles and functions of the external auditor of OPCW.
Write a note on the chemical weapons convention.